Your English skills always have room for improvement, whether you’re a native speaker or a foreigner learning a new tongue. There are several effective ways to help you learn English. In this article, you will find five useful tips that are often taught to foreign students trying to improve their English skills. These tips are going to help you become a master of the English language in no time.
1. Evaluate your current reading skills and choose books, newspapers, or journals that are challenging for you to read. Grab a dictionary and every time you encounter an unfamiliar word, look for its meaning. This is a fun way of expanding your English vocabulary. Doing this for even just 15 minutes a day can have a significant impact on your English skills.
2. Another fun way to learn English is through watching films or documentaries. This can be more stimulating than reading because you need to pick up new words and look for their meanings quickly. This improves your listening skills which can help you when conversing in English. At first, you can use subtitles to make it easier. But as you get used to this activity, turn off the subtitles to up the challenge.
3. Learn proper English grammar. This can be done through the two previous tips mentioned. Even native speakers sometimes find it difficult to fully comprehend the ins and outs of English grammar. As you read books and watch movies, figure out how the sentences are constructed. Start with the basics such as subject-verb agreement then work your way up.
4. Keep a diary and make it a habit to write daily. As the old adage goes, experience is the best teacher. Put your skills to the test by writing down your thoughts and ideas on paper. It can be about any topic you want. What’s great about this tip is that you can go back to your previous entries and see for yourself how your English skills have improved over time.
5. Surround yourself with English speakers. This is perhaps the ultimate test for you when learning English. Don’t be afraid to converse in English and commit mistakes. Communicating in English with real people is way better than just studying English vocabulary and grammar in your head.
Learning a new language is tough, but if you put in the time and effort, you are going to eventually master the new tongue. Just follow these tips, stick to them and never forget to always keep on learning.